Monday, February 3, 2014

Panama-Day 2

Today, I slept in very late, considering that my shift was not until later in the evening. When I awoke, I went downstairs to eat Hojaldras which are basically donuts with powdered sugar and are Panama’s traditional breakfast food. As I stepped outside of the hotel, I was immediately welcomed by Panama’s hot, bright sun. I saw people walking around celebrating, celebrating what though, I wondered. I asked around why they were celebrating but no one gave me a straight answer. Then I remembered the date it was November 3, 2031. That meant that it was Separation Day from Colombia. This day is very important to the locals. It marked the day that the US helped make Panama independent from Colombia, in exchange for creating the Panama Canal. Because it was a national holiday, I did not have to work that day and so I partied all day long. I learned one of the many dances called the Congo Dance. Also, I ate some of the most delicious delicacies in Panama including, the Arroz con pollo which is chicken, usually slow cooked with vegetables and spices and served with rice. It was so good that I ate like three plates of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment