Monday, February 3, 2014

Suriname-Day 3

Today, people would be getting up with headaches and bad memory after last night. Because of the intense celebrating, people would be late to work and slowing businesses. Today, because everyone is back to work, I got permission to go to the Central Suriname Nature Reserve. Suriname is a territory that is rich in fauna. Within the country, 680 bird species, 185 mammal species, 152 species of reptiles, 95 species of amphibians and 790 fish species have been recorded. A total of approximately 1,890 vertebrate species are known to exist in the country, 3 percent of which are unique to Suriname. The total number of species in Suriname are close to the number of unique species in the Amazon Rainforest. This is one of the many examples of evidence on why Brazil is overshadowing Suriname. I saw almost all of these unique species in the CSNR on my hike through the amazing wildlife park. On my hike through the CSNR, I saw the most breathtaking sight, Devil’s Egg. It is basically a giant boulder balanced on top of a granite spire, that is several hundred meters high. This capped my time in Suriname.

No comments:

Post a Comment