Monday, February 3, 2014

Panama-Day 3


After yesterday’s exciting events, I went to bed at a decent hour. When I woke up I saw a countless number of flags flagging in the air. I wondered what flag it was. Then I remembered that it was Panama’s national flag; also, I remembered that the day after Separation Day was Flag day. The only difference was that people did not get off work. Carlos and I decided to take our shifts early that day, so that way we could celebrate at night. On our shift, we almost encountered a big problem. One of the barges coming through was so big that the sides of the lock were only a few inches away from the sides of the barge. After our shift was done, we immediately reported the problem to our manager. He then called the Panama president who then called the US president and they all agreed that we must start expanding the canal.  After that Carlos and I were free to go and enjoy the rest of our day. As we strolled through the streets, I was very fascinated by the abundant number of street vendors. I had to buy something so I bought some Panama flag pj’s. Oh, they were so soft. For dinner, we had Tamales which are corn dough rolls with pockets stuffed with chicken or pork, wrapped in banana leaves and boiled and Sancocho which is an extremely popular local stew, especially during Carnaval, usually made with chicken vegetables, tomatoes and coriander. To finish it off we had Pastel de tres leches, a cake soaked in evaporated milk, condensed milk and cream, and Flans, egg custard with caramelized sauce. I had such a great  time in Panama that I am currently thinking of retiring there!

No comments:

Post a Comment